Criteria for getting accepted into the Cadet/Explorer Program:
- Must be between the ages of 14½ and 20 to apply.
- Must have and maintain a "C" Average (2.0 GPA) or better in school.
- Must be able to attend all 11 training sessions.
- Must maintain a 70% or higher GPA through the Explorer Academy.
- Must join our Learning for Life Explorer Post prior to graduation.
- Must have parent's permission to participate in all post functions.
- Must attend monthly meetings, and participate in a minimum of 7 hours of community service events per month which are scheduled by the post.
- Complete a Boy Scouts of America youth application and pay the yearly dues. ($24)
Submit your completed application to:
CSPD Community Relations Unit
705 S. Nevada Ave.
Colorado Springs, CO 80903
After your application is received you will be contacted by a member of the Cadet Recruitment Team.
You must also:
- Pass a background investigation.
- Complete and pass a mental evaluation.
- Complete and pass a criminal history check.
- Complete and pass an oral board interview.
- Complete a liability waiver form.
The CSPD Explorer Training Academy varies in length, but typically meets from 5:30 pm to around 8:30 pm on weekdays and weekends (typically Tuesdays, some Wednesdays, and a few Saturdays) - But the exact days vary from class to class. The cadet academy is usually held twice per year - But applications are accepted year-round and accepted applicants are allowed to participate in meetings and certain post functions.